Tuesday, 18 October 2011

The R word...

You know you're in Japan when the weird, stalky adverts on the internet (that always seem to know your current marital status and where you live) change from classics such as "SPY ON YOUR BOYFRIEND" (yeah, I never really understood that one either), to "Reduce the amount of radiation in your body with natural therapy - first session free!". Fabulous. Just what I wanted.

Truth be told, I had completely forgot about the whole Fukushima/radiation thing until a Japanese girl I was talking to on a night out gawked at me "why did you come to Japan? Are you not worried about the radiation? Crazy girl!" ...ok, you could put it that way. To be honest, I've mainly been more worried about visible things; like tsunamis and earthquakes and how many more mosquito bites can my legs take before turning into some sort of (albeit well timed seeing as Halloween is approaching) horrific congealed mess. That is, until the main news story on the Japanese news the other day was about reports of high levels of radiation in my residential area. i.e., specifically the town in which I live. Out of all the places in Japan - all the places in Tokyo even...my town. Cheers, world. Anyway, long story short, turns out it was some radioactive paint stored in wooden boxes under a house. What kind of crazy thinks "oh I know, I'll put these nice carcinogenic substances in my cellar", god only knows, but at least I don't have to panic and switch to bottled water, because I'm definitely too lazy for that anyway. So, radiation covered, it's just back to living regular days in Tokyo where at any minute you could be run over by a bicycle (seriously, they're bloody petrifying), spend so much money on food that your soul genuinely dies, or bow too much that you have to be hospitalised with a stiff neck. C'est la Tokyo vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment